Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Additions, Subtractions, Multiplications, Divisions

Welcome to my new blog! I know it's been a while since I posted anything at all to the previous blog, but I have good reasons. I don't want to dwell on things past - after all, this blog (and my life right now) is about looking around at the present and enjoying it, not worrying about the past or fretting over the future.

That said, I figured that I'd create a new blog and start things off with a recap of the past few months so that you'd know where I'm coming from when I post about all the wonderful things happening to me now.

First (and biggest news): I'm separated and am getting a divorce. Not to drag out long unnecessary details, but I've learned a tremendous amount about this whole situation, about relationships, and about my own tendencies to put myself in second place to make others happy.
I moved out in October and am living in a lovely house (yes, I have pictures) with 2 darling little kittens (one of which is convinced he can help me type this). My job is still going well for now, despite difficulties with the current economy (help us, Obama!). I've met someone new, someone wonderful who understands me. More (much much more) on this later.
I am happy. I feel more myself. One of my new year's resolutions is to Embrace My Quirkiness - it's who I am. And that's fine - quirkiness, unbridled happiness for no good reason is a wonderful thing. It's a lovely way to go through life, smiling at a pretty blue sky or petting a random dog on the sidewalk just because I feel like it. Getting kittens despite the fact that they're expensive and will probably tear up my furniture, and aren't practical. They give me joy. And I'm starting to think that's the meaning of life: Seeking and finding joy. Why not?

But now (on a lighter note!), I want to show you some photos! This is a rather dark photo of the new house. Isn't it darling? It was built in 1940 and is 1600 sq. ft. Big! I have a huge sewing room that's still in the throes of being unpacked. Also I haven't taken any good interior photos yet since getting unpacked, but will do so soon.
This is Poe (as in Edgar Allen, because he likes to hide in dark places). He's about 6 months old and fairly reserved, calm and mellow (unless I pull out the catnip).
This is Loki (named after the Norse god of mischief - trust me, it fits). Loki is about 4-5 months old and a little ball of energy. Also he eats like a bird (as in, 3 times his body weight a day) and claws my necklace at any opportunity, usually under the premise of "oh, I'm so cute, I'm going to cuddle up under your chin." And then when you least suspect it, BAM! Claw right in the jugular. Poe tends to watch Loki with a look on his face that says "moron." But we love him.

I got these kittens from a friend of a friend, who has too many cats at her house. The poor things had respiratory infections, eye infections, tapeworms, and had no clue how to use a litterbox. After a harrowing visit to the vet last week and a lot of antibiotics squirted down unwilling throats (and a week of chucking them into the litterbox at the first signs of squatting), they're feeling much better, happy and playful, not sneezing, and (miracle of all miracles) pooping in the litterbox. Hurrah!
And yes, I will be knitting them cat toys.

I suppose that this is enough information for one post - it's a lot for some of you to absorb I guess. It's been a lot for me to absorb too, over the past 3.5 months, but I'm satisfied with my decisions.
And to leave you with a bit of cuteness, here is Loki helping me knit:

No comments:

Post a Comment