Sunday, June 7, 2009

Monsoon Season Already?

This past weekend we visited Asia! Ok, not really. We did go to the Asian Festival though. Which is cheaper (free!) than going to Asia. Also it doesn't require flying. So I saved all that money in Xanax. (We also ate sesame chicken for dinner tonight - that has to count for something).

Anyway, the Asian Festival happens every year, and sadly enough, this was the first time I've ever been! What is my deal? Why have I not been there before? (Also to the Greek festival - helllloooooooo baklava!) There were a LOT of people there, and lots of vendors of different types - restaurants, various Asian associations, martial arts schools, visitors bureaus, and shops selling Asian fun stuff.

I resisted the urge to buy one of those round pyramid rice paddy hats, although Noel thought they were fetching. :) And NO, I didn't sign up for Kung Fu classes even though I wanted to.

And on that topic, let's all have a moment of silence for that master of modern Kung Fu, David Carradine. We'll miss you, Bill!

I digress. Back to the festival. We stopped at the Indonesia travel table, because WOW would Indonesia not be awesome? They have incredible temples there, and just gorgeous textiles, arts, fantastic stuff. I mean, check out these costumes:



How gorgeous are these outfits!? I coveted. I admit it.

There were also performers, and when we first arrived there was an extremely talented drumming group that were so full of energy and excitement for what they were doing, it was absolutely contagious. At the end of their performance, one of the players was so pumped he just kept on shouting and throwing his hands up in the air, and then realized that everyone else on stage had stopped, and he shrugged and said "Sorry!" to the audience, at which point the entire audience started cheering yet again for him. What a great thing to witness, someone so carried away by what they're doing that they completely forget where they are and just let the enthusiasm carry them along.

Also? That drumming group was GOOD. We wanted to see more, but unfortunately came in at the end of their performance, so we only got to see a few minutes of it. Super cool, and also, these people probably never have to go to the gym, what with the large stick wielding and such. It was reminiscent of the opening ceremonies for the Olympics with all the drummers, except instead of 2000 or so, there were only 8.

So yeah, now I want to go to Indonesia again. Managed not to buy anything at the market, although they had some pretty silk dresses. Those aren't very easy for curvy women to wear though, because they just don't make them to fit curvy women. I have fabric to make my own (someday).

Speaking of sewing, I did quite a bit today. I'll post a picture of my work tomorrow - a baby bonnet for a friend's baby's christening. Sewing baby stuff is fun because it's small projects and fun stufff with little ribbons and ruffles.

Ok, so we decided to leave the Asian festival and walk around downtown for a little while. The only problem was, apparently these Asian performers brought the monsoons with them:


Yeah, that's the curb there, underwater. This was rain that fell in about 15 minutes or so (and it didn't stop for a while after that). Can you say Flash Flooding? Thankfully we had an umbrella. Unfortunately the car was about a 15 minute walk. And it was a bit windy. So. By the time we got to the car, we were...damp. To put it mildly.

I'm trying to wring out my skirt here. It was SOAKED.


See? (OK, so it's a black skirt and you can't see how wet it is, but it was WET.)



So as I mentioned, I've been working on some sewing projects, and will have another one to work on very soon. I was at work the other day and had a wardrobe malfunction.

This looks pretty bad, huh? Just wait....


To get a real feel for how bad this was, check this out (please pardon the cotton undies! but better than NO undies, right?):


YEAH. NICE. Thank the gods Noel was the one who discovered this, when we were leaving work. He politely offered me his shirt to wrap around my waist. At first I just tried to pull my shirt down to cover it.



Yeah, that wasn't happening.

I had a sweatshirt that I used to cover my tushie. These pants though, I refuse to relegate to the Cleaning Rags pile. I'm going to make them into a cool (hopefully) skirt in the mode of http://www.alabamachanin.com/ - some embroidery, some patching (for obvious reasons!) and hopefully it'll turn into something lovely. That won't show my entire rear end.

And I though the only work hazards I had to worry about were the gators!
And now for your Daily Dose of Cuteness. Check out Poe taking a nap.


Hee hee! He has his tongue out. I could even touch it and he still kept it out. How funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment