Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I forgot to take pics of my dresses again. Oops. I will! I promise! And I will upload them too. I still need to do some readjustments to the long one, since I'm not 6'3" but apparently sew as if I am. Whoopsie!

Good news! I got an article published on www.savannahbest.com, but it's not posted yet. I wrote it about our trip to Boone Hall Plantation. Cima, the editor, gave me a really nice compliment. I had said that I was trying to get back into writing more, she said "Do keep writing! You owe it to yourself." I thought that was a nice thing to say, and very motivating to have someone who thinks you have a talent for something.

Yesterday I finished a great book called I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It, by Barbara Sher. VERY interesting book. She had some really good insights into Scanners like myself, and it made me feel like maybe there isn't anything wrong with me after all, for wanting to skip from one project to the next. (It's something I've always beat myself up about, that I can't just Buckle Down and Focus and so on.) She recommends a 30 day Very Small Commitment, where you choose 1 project you want to work on and spend 30 minutes on it for 30 days. I chose crochet, because I've been working on some projects and designs for crochet and feel I need to expand my skills there, and why not work on my skills in a conscious way?

She also made an interesting point about people who always got things very quickly (as in learned things without really realizing they were learning) and how challenging that can be later in life, to realize that mastery of something (which generally Scanner types don't have - they flit from one thing to the next) can take time to learn and perfect. I know I tend to do this - I get mad at myself if I don't get something right away, or get impatient and then feel like I'm a total loser because I need to practice at it. I expect that I will be the be-all-end-all right away at something, instead of giving myself time to learn how to do it.

She also talks about the all-or-nothing mentality that some of us fall into, how we think we have to be able to dedicate ourselves wholeheartedly to 1 thing in life, and until we have the right circumstances, we can't do anything toward that goal. She used the example of a man who wanted to write poetry, and also do several other random things in life, but he couldn't do any of it because he couldn't just quit his job and "go off and write poetry". And the author asked why he had to "go off" to do it - you don't! You can do it every day, in your own life, in little snippets. That's a nice feeling!

Anyway. Great book, and I think It was one of the reasons I was able to finally sit down and finish that article & submit it. I can be a freelance writer, even by only writing for an hour a week. That still qualifies me as a writer, and it's better than doing NO writing because I can't dedicate 60 hours a week to it (which I don't think I want to do anyway!).

I have another of her books, this one called Live the Life You Love, and am going to start reading that one now. She has another that I might buy (the library doesn't have it). But I also don't want to overwhelm myself with books about living the life I want, and put off ACTUALLY living the life I want because I'm so busy reading about it!

On to other things - it's HOT here. Brutal. This weekend will be even worse. They're saying that Friday and Saturday's high temps will be 100. That's without the heat index added on, y'all. That's MISERABLE. I really sometimes wish that I lived someplace that wasn't so unbearable in summer. It really takes the fun out of this time of year, because you can't do anything outside at all.

Of course, that means I can stay inside and work on my crafty stuff! So things could be worse. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment