Thursday, March 19, 2009

Rugby Redux

So it's Thursday after St. Patrick's Day. This weekend is always a hectic time around here. We avoided as much of the crowds as possible, but did make it out to the rugby tournament. Fun for all sizes!
I took some photos for you. It was a gorgeous and sunny day (I even managed to get a little bit of a sunburn!). Noel really enjoyed learning about rugby and enjoying the sunshine and violence. Heh. He couldn't believe (1) how brutal it is, and (2) that I used to play it.
There was a lot of scrumming going on:



And men in kilts (how fun!). Let me apologize now for the crappy quality of some of these photos. For some reason my camera decided to bleach out every one of the pictures I took that day, but then any other pictures I took later were too dark. (There may be a new camera in the future, says Madame Xentoria).



Anyway, kilts! Fun stuff!

There were about 60 teams at this year's tournament (a bit smaller than past years, but with the economy and so on, blah blah talky no money blah blah).

One team that caught our attention was this team. (Prepare yourself for un-PC-ness, and I'm not kidding). I tried to get a good picture of their jerseys but again the camera bleached all the color out. These pics I doctored up bigtime with Picasa so they'd not look like we were in the middle of a nuclear holocaust.

Anyway. Back to it. The back of their jerseys looked like this:



A big caution sign that said "Caution: Slow Children At Play." Nice.

The front of the jerseys looked like this:


Why yes, you're right. It's a short bus.

Ladies and gents, I present to you a rugby team who called themselves...

The Retards.


Now before anyone sends me hate mail for putting this up, let me add that I found out later that Retards stands for something, but honestly I don't remember what now. Sorry. Anyway, I couldn't help but think it was a little funny, and they had a lot of people come out to watch their games. Rugby is nothing if it's not PC.

Also? These were some big boys.



This photo just makes me feel plumb svelte, I tell ya. I might put it on the fridge everyday to remind myself to eat more girl scout cookies.

Tomorrow is the first day of spring. Happy spring! Enjoy the pollen! I don't know where you guys live, but we've got a fine layer of yellow/green on everything. It's not an easy time of year for the allergy-ridden, particularly since it hasn't rained much at all and so the pollen is free to assault you with its itchiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment